Question: What do I do if the Citizens Online Reporting System is not right for me?

Answer: If your incident is an emergency, please call 9-1-1. If it is a non-emergency and you are calling from Grimsby, Lincoln or West Lincoln, call 905-945-2211. If you are calling from any other municipality within the Niagara Region, call 905-688-4111. Our toll free number is 1-888-668-3911.


Question: What is a known suspect?

Answer: A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime OR you or someone else knows the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.


Question: What if this happened outside of the Region of Niagara? Can I file a report using the Citizens Online Reporting System?

Answer: No. Please contact the Police Service within the jurisdiction where the incident occurred.


Question: What does "Owner Applied No." mean?

Answer: This term means a permanent engraving or etching that has been applied to a piece of property for identification purposes.


Question: The "location of incident" is a mandatory field. What if I do not know the location or intersection of the loss/theft/damage?

Answer: Enter 68 Church Street, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R3C6 in the “location of incident” field. Include in your text that the location is unknown.


Question: Can I provide a copy of the temporary report to my insurance company?

Answer: No. Your insurance company MUST request a copy of the official police report by contacting our Police Service directly. Your insurance company will be required to obtain your consent, prior to the Police releasing a copy of your report to them.


Question: When can I expect a response from the Police Service?

Answer: The Service commits to respond to our citizens within five (5) business days.


Question: Can I submit additional information after I send my original report?

Answer: Yes. The online reporting system allows for supplemental information to be added after the original report has been filed.


Question: What if I file a report for lost or stolen property and I find the property at a later time?

Answer: Please file a supplemental report through our online reporting system, advising us that your property has been found/recovered.


Question: What if my child’s identification is lost or stolen with mine?

Answer: If your child's identification was lost/stolen during the same incident, please file a supplementary report under each additional person’s name using the report number that will be provided to you.


Question: Should I cancel my credit card if it is lost or stolen?

Answer: Yes, contact your credit card company immediately. If you file an on-line report of a lost or stolen credit card, please indicate in the "Incident Description" box whether or not you have cancelled your credit card.


Question: If I have several lost/stolen items to report, can I indicate them all on one Property page?

Answer: No, you need a separate Property page for each lost/stolen item.

Example: lost/stolen wallet with a driver's licence and $5, will require three(3) property pages.


Question: We had two vehicles vandalized, can I just put them both on the same Vehicle page?

Answer: No, you'll have to report each vehicle on its own vehicle page.